Monday 30 March 2009

Family Roots 2


Looking down the dale from our house we can see Low Rigg, the home of my Grandma Scown's paternal grandparents. Thomas Elliott( b 1841) married Isabella Stobbs (b 1841) in Heatherycleugh Church in 1865. His mother, Hannah Elliott ( b 1818) was not married to his father John Emerson (b 1816) although they seemed to have taken an equal share in his upbringing, as they both appear with him on different Census records. John Emerson's mother Hannah was born in 1777 and appears on the 1851 Census.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather. My Grandmother was Nellie Stobbs and she married my Grandfather John Gilbert Elliott in 1932. Isabella and Thomas were John Gilbert's Grandparents. When I was doing my family tree I couldn't believe it when I found another marriage between an Elliott and a Stobbs, and only 2 generations previous. I suppose we must be cousins 3 times removed or something like that!

    ReplyDelete